Monday, January 2, 2012

How God protects what is His.

     It was in the early days of my missionary ministry in Rosarito.  I was starting our first Eosarito mission from the main church.  (I had started others in the Mexicali area before moving to Rosarito).
     I had found a lot and purchased it and one of our supporting churches had sent $1,800.00 to start the building.  In those days that would have covered a great part of the construction of the little mission church.  I had purchased a few things to get the foundation started.
     In those days we did not have a telephone so I had to use a public phone downtown in Rosarito.  I laid the money pouch on top of the public phone while making my call.  I had received a letter from a pastor asking me to call.  During the call he informed me their church was going to give the money to FINISH the mission building!  I was SO excited I hurried home to tell Edna the good news.  Suddenly I remembered I had left the money pouch on top of the public phone.
     In a panic I broke all speed limits getting back downtown.  I wanted to drop dead right there in the street!  It was not there!  I had foolishly lost the sacrificial giving of God's people.  I felt like I had also greatly let those new Mexican converts down.  I felt HORRIBLE!!
     Then I heard a voice say to me in Spanish, "Looking for this?"  I turned and saw an old man with an icecream cart holding up the bag.  I still was sick at heart becuase I thought someone had taken the money and thrown away the pouch.  With heavy steps I walked into the street and took the bag.  BUT, it did feel to heavy to be empty!  I opened it up and ALL THE MONEY WAS THERE. 
     Then the old man told me the story.  He saw a young boy grab the pouch and he told him that it belonged to a missionary and that I would soon return for it.  Miraculously the boy gave him the bag.  I took out a good-sized bill to reward that old man so he would at least have one day he wouldn't have to push that cart thru the streets.  What he said shocked me greatly!
     He said, "I know you are the missionary and that is God's money.  I couldn't touch God's money, OH NO."  Of course I thanked him profusely AND thanked God He had looked after me in my carelessness.
Just think of how many times God has looked after you.  Bro Don

No comments:

Post a Comment