Thursday, May 10, 2012

He nearly had a stroke!

     Several years ago a groups of our Bible College students in Rosarito and I traveled to the interior of Mexico to the state of Nyarit.  There we met up with another missionary and went from village to village showing a Gospel film and putting on services.  At times we were in parks or town squares or public halls or wherever we could.  In one village we met in the home of a Mexican preacher that wanted to start a church there.
     While I was passing out tracts in that small village I was accosted by the local priest.  He wanted to know what we were doing in that village.  When I told him we were sharing the Gospel he informed me that HE had already brought the Gospel to the village.  I told him what he had was what was called ANOTHER Gospel and that we had brought the FAITH once delivered unto the saints.  He then asked me what was our religious denomination.  When I told him we were Baptists he said, "OH, you claim to go back to John, the Baptist."  I answered, "And you claim to go back to Peter" to which he answered in the affirmative.  He became furious when I told him I preferred my roots because John, the BAPTIST had baptized his originator, Peter and that his had denied the Lord THREE times and that he seemed to be following his example.  He then turned nearly purple and told me I had to admit that the keys of the kingdom had been given by our Lord to Peter.  I told him that didn't bother me -- we have the DOOR and HIS key wasn't any good without MY Door.  Then, I asked if I could ask him a personal question.  He begrudgingly agreed.  I asked him how he felt about being called, "father" when he wasn't even married.  That was all he could take so he stormed off.
     I know!  I know it was mean; but, it was FUN!!  Bro Don

1 comment: