Friday, March 9, 2012

AND THEY CAME

     Several years ago we made some trips into an Indian village outside of Ensenada, Mexico.  There are several tribes within an hour's drive.  We had shown a Gospel film at Christmastime in SPANISH and shared some food with them.  HOWEVER, they mostly spoke a dialect so we were a little discouraged.
     A couple of winters later we had TORRENTIAL rains in the area.  It was devastating even in the city.  When the rains had stopped, I was standing in front of the church in Ensenada when two humble-looking men came walking towards me hesitantly.  I recognized them as from on of the indigenous tribes.  They hesitated a few feet away and I knew they were wondering if that Gringo spoke Spanish.  I have become accustomed to that so approached them and greeted them.  In their broken Spanish they told me they were looking for an American  missionary that had come to their area about two years ago.  His name was Kiser.  I identified myself and asked how I could help them.
     They explained that the floods had washed away their little church and some of their homes.  I WAS TOUCHED!  I told them to come with me into the church and I would see if we had some clothes and at least beans to share.
     They hesitated and chattered to one another in their dialect.  OH< NO! They probably wanted money.  Finally, they explained to me that was not what they had come for clothes or food.  They had lost all their BIBLES and Gospel tracts in Spanish in the flood.  (They told me there was no Bible translated in their dialect.)  That was what they were pleading for.  There have been few times in my ministry when I felt more humbled.  I was thinking PHYSICALLY; they were thinking SPIRITUALLY.  God forgive me!  We are now planning to once again visit some of those tribes in the VERY near future.  Missionary Don Kiser and proud of it and humbled by it!

No comments:

Post a Comment